Friday, May 21, 2010

Lemon Ricotta Cookies

     When I first told my sister that I wanted to make these lemon ricotta cookies, she made it pretty clear that she refused to eat anything with the word “ricotta” in the title, and my mother and other sister had similar reactions. I’m not sure what caused their aversion to it, but these cookies looked too delicious not to make. I ignored their hesitation and decided to make them anyway... And we were all glad I did. In fact, I think the three of them actually ended up eating even more cookies than me. So good! On their own, these cookies are good but nothing spectacular. When the tangy lemon glaze is spread onto them, however, they become ridiculously addictive. I dare you to try and eat just one.



Lemon Ricotta Cookies
Adapted from Fleur D’Elise
Ingredients:

Cookies:
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder 1 teaspoon salt
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 (15-ounce) container whole milk ricotta cheese (shhh, I used part-skim ricotta)
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1 lemon, zested

Glaze:
2 cups powdered sugar
4 tablespoons lemon juice
1 lemon, zested

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Cookies: In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside. In a large bowl, combine the butter and the sugar.
3. Using an electric mixer beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating until incorporated. Add the ricotta cheese, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Beat to combine. Stir in the dry ingredients.
4. Grease baking sheets. Spoon the dough (about 2 tablespoons for each cookie) onto the baking sheets. Bake for 15 minutes, until slightly golden at the edges (I over-baked my first batch and had to throw them away, so watch carefully). Remove from the oven and let sit on baking sheets 5 min. before transferring them to a cooling rack.
5. Glaze: Combine the powdered sugar, lemon juice, and lemon zest in a small bowl and stir until smooth. Gently spread a thin layer of glaze onto each cookie, and let harden.

No comments:

Post a Comment